Books - An Ordinary Day

A collection of pictures and poems…In 1972 evictions from District Six under the Group Areas Act were well under way, the bulldozers had moved in, buildings and homes were being demolished. I, a young medical student, walked through the dying embers of this once vibrant community. Through the lens of an old Pentax, my privileged eye observed the paradox of obscene destruction, the innocence of children playing in the streets, the remains of an enduring human spirit. With time the negatives of the photographs were lost. The prints, as abandoned as their subjects, forgotten in a trunk until 2004 when my daughter, Nicky found them, secretly scanned them, restored them and presented them back to me in an album as a birthday gift. On another Saturday, in 2005, I returned with my camera and walked through the cracked and littered remains of the streets I had photographed 33 years ago. This book is just about that; my small personal essay on a much larger, more enduring and tragic historical legacy.
 
Author: Graham Ellis
Price: R150.00 Vat Incl  No Stock